Fixing Windows White Screen of Death Caused by Malware
I recently had an issue on my Windows 7 Lenovo x230 laptop where it would boot up normally, let me log in normally, and then briefly show me the desktop before going to a solid white screen. When shutting down or logging off, I would again briefly see the desktop before my session ended. After some searching I found that this is a common type of malware and that it can be removed by booting up in safe mode with command prompt and then going back to a system restore point. Here is what I did:
1) Right before the Windows Boot screen comes up, press the F8 key to bring up the Boot in Safe Mode Menu
2) In the Safe Mode Menu, select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option
3) The system will then boot into Safe Mode and you will see a Command Prompt window. In the Command Prompt window type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe to bring up the system restore menu.
4) Follow the prompts and restore to the earliest system restore point on your system. This will take a few minutes.
5) Reboot your computer. If you had the same issue I had then you should now be able to use it normally.
One last thing to consider is to go into the Programs and Features menu in the Control Panel and uninstall any programs you installed recently. A new program is often the source of malware since the install often requires you to give Administrator access.